The high blood sugar level that not reaches the threshold of diabetes is called "prediabetes”. After fasting for 8 hours, the blood sugar level will be at 100-125. The average cumulative sugar in the blood is at 5.7-6.4.
The main cause of this condition is insulin resistance; therefore, sugar from blood is not absorbed to cells resulting in high blood sugar levels at all times. If you continually neglect to this problem, it will eventually develop into "diabetes".
How to take care of yourself to reduce the risk of diabetes and blood sugar levels:
1. Avoid high sugar foods or white flour such as sweet water, soft drinks, bakery, desserts, and sweet fruits.
2. Eat whole-grain foods such as brown rice, whole grains, and low sugar fruits and vegetables, regularly exercise, and maintain your body weight in normal level.
3. Avoid factors affecting high sugar levels, such as stress, not enoug rest, late-night sleep, and smoking.
4. Take certain supplements that help reduce insulin resistance and stimulate the cells to better absorb blood sugar such as Omega 3, minerals, vitamin D, and supplements extracted from plants such as polyphenols and flavonoids, however, should consult a professional doctor before taking any supplement.
5. Should do the blood test at least every 3 months until the blood sugar level drops to normal level.
Information by Dr. Narumol Tongsreeneam
Composed by Medisci Center